Good morning everyone! Today we are taking a break from the science for a little bit of blogosphere love. A few days ago, I received a token of joy in my inbox — it was a message notifying me that the lovely blogger over at The Field Mouse had nominated Ink Chromatography for a Liebster Blog Award. Please do yourself a favor and mosey on over to The Field Mouse‘s site, which is dedicated to showcasing animal and human rights advocacy, as well as eco-friendly products and design. It’s a fountain of advice for making your life more sustainable and socially responsible in viable, creative ways.
Blogging definitely feels like yelling into an infinite abyss at times,
so it’s heart-warming to know that my digital chicken-scratch brings enjoyment to even a handful of people.
Liebster is a German word that means “dearest”. The Liebster Award celebrates up-and-coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers. The aim is to spread the word about exceptional blogs that deserve more readership, by having each recipient of the Liebster Award highlight five blogs that he or she feels stands out in a crowd.
The rules are as follows:
- Show thanks to the blogger who gave you the award by linking back to them.
- Reveal your top 5 picks and let them know by leaving a comment on their blog.
- Post the award on your blog.
- Bask in the love from some of the most supportive people on the internet—other writers and artists.
- And best of all – have fun and spread the karma.
Here goes, these are my five nominations!
- Biocreativity — “Art. biology. creativity. science. design. nature.”: The tagline at the top says it all. Promoting all sorts of biocreative expression, this site delightfully blurs the line between art and biology.
- Hip Hop Fox Trot — Analyzes the music theory of indie, folk, rock, pop, and instrumental songs for the “unabashed and unassuming music nerd”. Plus weekly suggestions for your obligatory “road trip” playlist. The blogger writes with charisma and a firm, but readily accessible, grasp of songwriting.
- Mary Bates — Showcases fascinating reviews about biology, psychology, neuroscience, ecology, and animal behavior. Plus the occasional bat plug (the writer earned her PhD studying bat echolocation!).
- Next-Door Nature — Provides entertaining descriptions of creatures that we are likely to encounter in our everyday lives. Sprinkled with penetrating wit and charming tid-bits, the posts are always a joy to read.
- Wellcome Trust — A larger blog that exhibits unique pieces about science. This site reliably compiles exemplary science writing about topics that range from parasitic diseases to the science of swearing.
Once again, huge thanks to The Field Mouse, and hurrah for five more inductees into the Liebster community! These blogs are the bee’s knees in my opinion, and I hope you enjoy them as well.
In closing, I’ll leave everyone with a couple science-y gems from sites that do have over 200 followers…
- The Tardigrade Song: Learn about these irresistibly endearing moss piglets in musical form!
- Towards Nature’s Fastest Draw: Read a mind-boggling post on the fastest traps, projectiles, strikes, and blows in the natural world.